Monday, January 31, 2011

Dangerous Combination

First off I have to begin by saying how grateful I am that no one was hurt.  This could have ended vary badly.  Fischer definitely had some guardian angels watching out for him.  With that said...so Sunday Fischer and I were in his room.  Fischer has this night light that has a metal cover with a cute cut out of a fly fisherman.  Anyway, he loves playing with the smooth metal piece and often pulls the metal cover off the light.  So on Sunday he had pulled it off and was just playing with the metal piece next to me.  What I hadn't noticed was that when he pulled it off he also pulled the light section of the nightlight partially out. It was still plugged in but the metal prongs that go into the outlet were showing a bit.  I turn my head for a second since I was putting clothes away for him only to turn around and see him trying to "fix" the light and put the metal piece he had pulled off back on the light.  As he tries to do that, and before I can grab it from him, the metal piece fell behind the bulb, touched the metal prongs that were still plugged in, and to my horror I hear the awful buzz of electricity flowing through something it shouldn't followed by an explosion and a big fire ball. I scream and immediately attend to Fischer to see if he is okay.  He was absolutely fine.  He didn't even cry, nothing, just looked at the outlet, put his finger to his mouth and gave a look to me like, "hmm, that was cool." I'm not sure how that kid didn't get hurt other then by some angel watching out for him.  He must have let go of that metal piece just in the nick of time.  Anyway here are pictures of the "damages". 
If you look at the top of the night light you can see two little dents.  That's where the metal met up with the prongs. 

6 comments:

*Marie* said...

That is so scary. I'm glad you are all safe and unharmed.

Ty and Mari said...

oh man. I am glad all is ok. I am so worried about that happening at our house. What is it with little kids electrical sockets?

Kelli said...

Eeek!! Scary stuff!! I'm so glad the little guy is ok :)
We had a very similar experience last year.
A stupid night light was kinda coming out of the socket and Mailee had one of those beaded metal necklaces they use for dog tags and stuff. Anyway, she was swinging that around and got it on the exposed part of the prongs and just like you said, a huge pop and sizzle and you think you're kid was just electrocuted!! Luckily she wasn't hurt either. But we too now have a black outlet in our home. Seriously so scary to think what could have happened. Thank goodness for those guardian angels!

Brooke said...

WOW! I'm so glad he was fine, and completely unphased by the whole thing!

Parker and Jes said...

oh my gosh! SO GLAD HE IS OKAY! Such a blessing to know he was being watched over (I think little boys must have very attentive gaurdian angels)

Jess said...

Wow! Glad he didn't get hurt and your house didn't burn down. That's scary. Makes me worried about the night light I just bought for the kids.